This is a MODIS image of Tasmania (Australia), showing smoke columns from several wildfires burning on 6 January. In recent months, Australia has suffered a severe heat wave and strong winds, which have favored the emergence of several fires.
NASA’s Terra satellite MODIS system (Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer) captured this image from Tasmania showing a number of wildfires across the island on January 6, 2013.On January 7, the temperature shot up, exceeding 40 ° C, which has not happened for over 30 years.
Read last posts
- Monday paper: Permafrost degradation in Antarctica March 9, 2015
- 4th European Conference on Permafrost (EUCOP) December 12, 2013
- Iberian Permafrost Conference in the Pyrenees March 25, 2013
- Announcement: Permafrost Conference in southern Europe! March 25, 2013
- Lecture on permafrost research: “Geophysical monitoring of permafrost evolution in the Swiss Alps” February 20, 2013